I am not anti – social, I just don’t like you

When it comes to social functions at work, I am generally a no show. My co-workers know that I am not going to show up to bowling night, or pizza lunches or whatever they have planned. I take my son to the holiday party and that’s about it. Hubby and my sis think it is because I am anti – social. This is not true. The reason is fairly simple and I would like to take this opportunity to explain why I don’t go to these things.

I just don’t like the people that attend these things.

I don’t think that I am better than anyone else, I don’t see myself as superior to anyone I work with. I just don’t like the people I work with. There are a select few that I think are great, and I like to hang out with outside of the office, but other than them, I don’t like my co-workers. I can’t stand fake people. Pretentiousness bothers me. And it appears that the majority of people that I work with are phony. When I am forced to attend these things, I tend to sit in a corner, eat as much free shrimp as I can and limit my conversations. It’s not that I am a bad conversationalist; it is that I have nothing to say to these people. I like my chats to be of substance and having a mind numbing discussion about the five year plan of the company does not appeal to me. I would rather not spend my free time here, there are other people I would rather hang out with and other things I would rather be doing. I make it a point not to waste anyone’s time, and humbly request that you don’t waste mine. So don’t feel bad when I don’t show up.

Now this doesn’t just apply to work, it refers to my life in general. I have very few friends and I am happy with that. The friends that I had, turned out to be fair weather friends, they were only interested in being in my life when it suited them. That doesn’t fly with me. I have too much going on in my life and I don’t need to be playing high school games. This being said I am fiercely loyal and the people that have stood by me can rely on me to stand by them.

So I am not anti – social, I am selective!