I’ve been married how long?!?

The hubby and I were dating for about 4 years before we got engaged, we were engaged for 1 year and in 19 days we will have been married for 2 years. I think someone needs to check the math though, because it feels like we have been married for way longer.

To me it feels like we’ve been married for like 45 years! And I don’t mean this in a bad way. It just feels like I’ve known him all my life, and according to him I almost practically just about have. That doesn’t meant that there aren’t times when I feel like whacking him in the head with a wet noodle because he forgot to clean the lint trap or lost all my clothes (see previous laundry related posts) but it feels like we’ve been together since time. I know for a fact that we are not one of those overly affectionate couples; we don’t keep track of the anniversary of our first kiss or have a ‘special’ song or anything. Goodness – to this day I am not sure when we started dating. I know it was a long time ago but I have no idea on the exact date. In fact a lot of people think that we are arguing a lot of the time but we aren’t, it’s just the way that we talk to each other. It’s not rude or demeaning or anything, we’re just loud. OK – I’m just loud, and he’s the reserved type. He doesn’t really say much, just kind of lets me go off on a tangent about whatever and will comment when he is sure I am done. I don’t think that we’re opposites, but we’re not the same, we just seem to fit together. We hug, we fight, we laugh, we know each other, and yes we have our moments where we finish each others sentences or say things the same. I don’t think that we’ve experienced some sort of metamorphosis where we’ve turned into each other because we spend so much time together. We’re just us.

I know that this anniversary won’t be filled with mushiness, and a whole bunch of lovey dovey sentiments: I’ll probably order a pizza for him and he’ll probably fold some laundry for me, nothing super fancy. But that’s just us. I think as you get older the mushy stuff isn’t as important as just spending time together. And that’s what I mean about us being married forever, we’ve been doing that since day one. I love him, he loves me and we’ve been doing this for forever, and will probably keep doing this for forever.

* I apologize if this has turned into an overly mushy post, I didn’t intend it to be. *

0 comments: