Hip Hop is dead


***Disclaimer***
I do not encourage violence nor I am advocating crime, this is just my point of view. It may be offensive to some, but I am entitled to it. If you don’t agree with what I have to fine, you are entitled to that. But this is my piece and this is how I see it.

********************************************************************************

I have been a hip hop head since the age of 10. The first rap song I ever heard was ‘She Swallowed It’ by Slick Rick. Not appropriate for a 10 year old, true but I was hooked nevertheless. Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC, Wu Tang Clang, Biggie Smalls – I love them all. But I am not pleased with the way that hip hop is going and I have to get this off my chest.

Bling bling


Hip Hop was never about the bling. It was a reflection of life in the ghetto, it was about being poor. The baggy jeans, oversized shirts, were a sign of economic hardships not a fashion statement. What in the hell does a diamond encrusted chain represent? You made it, yeah you did but at what cost? Selling out to get one song on commercial radio and then fading into obscurity. Please, that’s not hip hop, that’s conforming. Might as well call yourself a pop artist.

Hip hop artists cannot sing


If you want to be a crooner get into R & B, stop trying to think that you can sing hooks.

Lingo


The constant need to create need words and calling it southern lingo doesn’t work. It just seems to perpetuate negative stereotypes. Spelling and grammar have been around before you; words are spelled and pronounced a certain way for a reason. Encourage youth to speak properly and maybe the cycle of oppression can end. Don’t complain about being held down when you don’t know how to spell dilemma correctly!!

Moves


Stop inventing dances that look like more like an epileptic seizure than a rhythmic movement to music. Arms flaying around and legs jiggling like jell-o is not a skill. Also, gyrating and bouncing your ass in front of a camera isn’t dancing either, its gyrating and bouncing your ass. Neither is a skill, and if you think it is, please read a book.

50 cent


First off I would not brag that you were shot however many times it was that you were shot. Back in the day, people shot the snitches and the dudes that thought that they were roughnecks but they weren’t. Which were you? It used to be that the glory was on the shooter not the poor jackass being shot at.
Also, you call your little group of hangers on – G Unit a.k.a. Gorilla Unit. How stupid are your friends? They are letting you call them sub intelligent primates and they are cool with it? If your personality is a reflection of the company you keep – you are a wanna be with no real talent.
Lastly, what message are the 'artists' trying to put out there? The songs revolve around what you have and how you're better than everybody else. Nice message, but how true is it? Your record label owns your name, and the radio station owns your soul. If they gave up on you would you still be rapping? I highly doubt it, and that tells me hip hop was never in your heart. Today's artist don't feel the music they feel the money and because of that an era has come to an end.

But that’s just my opinion.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly agree with you, but how does one go about changing the mindset of an entire generation? All of your points are valid, but the real issues go far beyond that of Hip Hop music.

It's the people who make the music. And if the people don't get better than the music won't get better.

And only God knows when that's going happen.

- One